Showing of new work in elk
Tea Pot show
Went to the Flameware workshop that Robbie Lobell taught at the Mendocino Art Center. It was a great workshop; learned a lot about working with a new and difficult clay type. Afterward, I cooked my dinner in my new clay saucepan on top of the stove.
Here's a couple of pictures of us roasting marshmallows in the heat from the kiln.
Had a great time at the workshop (the emphasis was on the work)! Got a lot of pots from the 2 anagama and 1 soda firing. Learned some new techniques, got some inspiration, vowed to make a series of 100 tea bowls, am planning a series of large jars of descending size with large mouths, which I can fire inside each other to save kiln space.
I'm going to be attending the Jack Troy workshop at the Mendocino Art Center for the next 2 weeks, which includes 2 class firings in the "Babygama" kiln there. Hopefully I'll be learning new techniques, getting new ideas and getting some nice work out of the kiln!
The spring wood/salt firing came out well. The temperature was more even, and it got hot enough on the bottom, so I had few pieces I had to refire. The reduction and colors were good. Most pieces were once-fired in this kiln, so the glaze application was tricky with my celadons, as they are not that high in clay. They did so-so with a bone dry application. Shinos did fine applied leather hard. I experimented with more slips in this firing.
We are planning another wood/salt firing before the weather gets too hot and dry--late April or in May.
The White Lotus Gallery on Redwood St. in Fort Bragg, CA, recently began carrying my pottery. In February, they are doing a special music-themed show, and I made a guitar-shaped vase for it, which will be in the show. There is a reception Fri. evening, Feb. 7th, 5 to 8 p.m. I will be there for only part of the evening, as I have a friend with an opening at another gallery.
The firing went well; it was candled Fri. night with gas, then fired with wood all day and night on Sat. We got to temperature in the first chamber around 2 a.m. on Sunday, and salted it with a total of around 35 lbs. of salt (the first chamber had not been salted before.) The second chamber then got to temperature quickly and we salted it (maybe 15 lbs.), and were done by 7 a.m. Final temperatures varied from cone 9 to about cone 12 or so.
I am participating in a wood-fired salt firing next week. Hope to get some nice pots out of the kiln.